02 February 2013

New Books, Quilt Plans

I was putting some books away today, and some of them were new books I had just picked up at Goodwill.  I got a set of 12, a series entitled My Book House.  I have seen sets of them for quite a bit, and I got them for $12 for the set!!  Because they were all just $1 because they were hard back children's books!!





51mbPaxbybL.jpg


They are really lovely books, and I had wanted them to use for artwork, so we are probably going to be cutting them up.  It is pretty hard to do that, but that's the plan.... They are all new, some are still in plastic wrap.  Which reminded me of my elementary school days!  I went to Cory Elementary School in Denver.  We had a librarian named Mrs. Zumwinkle.  Most of our teachers had very interesting names (Mrs. Friend, Mrs. Quail...)  Anyway, I remember when they would get new books in, we would come in to help "break them in."  We would hold the books up on the table and open them up with all the pages in the middle and then fold back sections gently on each side, so they would not break the binding.  I have no idea if that is/was necessary, but I remember thinking it was pretty cool, and I was an important helper to the library!!  

I have decided to make a small table runner quilt to practice my hand stitching before I tackle the big project!!  I made some hexies last year when we went to the Broadmoor.  I also during that time watched all of season 1 of Downton Abbey, and the first couple of episodes of Season 2 so that I could get caught up on this new show everyone was talking about!  I have a whole pile of hexies that I haven't done any more with, so today I arranged them in a sort of flower/abstract pattern, and I am going to connect them and quilt them onto a small runner.  That's the plan, anyway.  I should be able to get a good start on them tomorrow during the Super Bowl.  

Here are some inspiring pictures:


Have a great Sunday, enjoy worshipping with your church family, and rest and be refreshed! We are Blessed!!
Karen


No comments: