09 February 2013

Van Briggle Pottery, Colorado Springs




I am spending a few days with Ted at the Broadmoor, our annual "Broadmoor Weekend!"  Ted attends the conference of the ACP.  Sometimes the girls come with us, but last year they didn't.  So this year, Ted and I came down on Thursday and they are coming up this morning.  They should be here in about an hour!  It's crazy, but as much as I like the alone time, I am always glad to be with them again.

Yesterday I mostly stayed around here, but I did take a little drive, mostly to get out so they could clean the room :)  I love that part!!!!!

I visited two quilt shops.  I know I am not exactly a quilt shop expert/reviewer, but here is my take on the two places anyway.  There is really no comparison.  One of them has about ten thumbs up, and the other one just thumbs down.

First I went to Ladybug Hill Quilts.  http://www.ladybughillquilts.com

I have been here before, and really was unimpressed, but thought I would give it another try.  This shop is extremely underwhelming.  I don't really know what their "thing" is.  I don't remember any of the fabrics they have.  They seem to have a lot of patterns.  BUT it is very dark.  In the middle and back of the shop, I couldn't even hardly see the fabrics.  They are not displayed very creatively nor do they show off whatever collections they might have had.  AND  it was dead quiet.  No music, no talking, nothing.  It was like a library.  There were a few people there, but not one word.  I was afraid to make a sound.  I could hardly wait to leave.  It was not relaxing at all.  Very sterile.  Not tempting at all to buy anything.

OK, now for my favorite!!  High Country Quilts...  http://www.hcquilts.com/

I LOVE everything about this shop.  It is BRIGHT and big.  And they always have great music playing.  Sort of oldies/jazzy music.  They have a lot of things I LOVE.
*Kids fabrics/panels/books, minky, patterns.  They have lots of vintagey kids prints.  I love all their children's selection.
*Jelly rolls, charm packs, these little 2" squares, all sorts of pre-cut packages.  I really like using them because you get so many different fabrics, without buying tons of yardage.
*Even though I don't really do embroidery, I love looking at all their embroidery patterns.  Mostly the company that is something like cinderberry or something like that, really cute.

Everyone is super friendly and there is always sort of a buzz going on.  They have a big classroom, too, and it makes you sort of want to hang out here all day.

Then I took a little drive around the downtown area, and around Colorado College.  I wanted to see the original VanBriggle Pottery Factory.  I remember going here with Eric once when he was about 12, on a field trip looking at architecture.  It is now a Facility Department building for Colorado College.  But there is a public area with an information sign and so I just parked in the employees' parking and walked around and took some pictures.


Pikes Peak in the background.


This sundial was exactly correct!
I was there at 10:45.

South-facing wall.  The sky was gorgeous!!

This very handsome rooster is right above the sundial.




Public park area outside of the factory.  The two alcove areas on the sides are shown below , one for  Artus VanBriggle, and the other shows his wife, Anne.  The mosaics in the center are beautiful, colorful pictures of art deco styled motifs of pottery and native americans.







Art Deco cat gargoyle on the top of one of the chimneys.













I have several pieces of VanBriggle pottery.  I have loved it since I was a little girl.  My grandmother and mom had these pieces, I am sure it was more that it was from Colorado Springs.  I don't think they were especially "collectors."  They used to have a shop and factory over on Cimmaron and 21st Ave, near Manitou.  We would go there and watch the people making and hand painting the pottery.  But now they are in a much smaller place downtown.  We went there a few years ago with Eric and Paula.  It was not as interesting.  I guess I need to go there again.

Here is a peak at our room at the Broadmoor:




The sitting area in the living room.  On that little table
is my lunch.  It is the yogurt I brought from home (read:cheap)
and I put it in one of the wine glasses in the
bar-room and it made me feel quite luxurious :)

Our desk with the Tower of Treats.

The sitting area in the main room, with our balcony.  That is the
main entrance of the hotel out that window.








The living room, from the other
direction.  This is
where I did some sewing,
watched Downton Abbey
on my computer and snacked!!

The girls are here now, we are going exploring!!!

Enjoy your weekend,
Karen






No comments: